Wednesday 8 February 2012

When the world knew best... I didn't listen

On Monday evening, Dave and I learnt a big life lesson: when the world is telling you not to do something, you should always listen.

Unfortunately, we didn't actually really understand this message until after we hadn't listened... which, reading back makes absolutely no sense.

Basically, when the world was trying to give us a sign not to do something, we didn't follow that wisdom and advice. Although, you could say it was kind of a good thing that we didn't read the signs because now I will always read the signs (and when I say signs, I mean those rather spooky moments that can't really be explained, but all seem to say the same thing).

Anyway, you are probably wondering what it is that I'm going on about. What can be so life-defining that it will make me stand to attention and look at the world with a different set of eyes? Could it be something as extraordinary as watching a baby bird fly from its nest for the first time? Er... no, afraid not. Could it be the simple task of carrying an old lady's shopping to her car, only to find that she is the world's wealthiest woman? Er... again it's a no. Or maybe- could it be the moment when you realise that you are falling in love? ... That would be a no. Again.

I'm sorry to say that it was nothing as extraordinary as the three scenario's above. It was (and now it seems completely silly after I've dramatised it so much!), a rather plain and simple Chinese take-away (or take-out if you prefer). Except, it wasn't quite a Chinese meal. Rather, this is a blog about the Chinese take-away that was never supposed to happen.

Dave and I never usually order in food as he's rather good in the food department (and definitely much better than me, although that's not difficult). But on Monday night, I had the evening off work so Dave and I decided to have 'date night'. Instead of going out, we decided to stay in... bring the food to us and curl up with a good old DVD.

So, after perusing the menu and deciding to choose lots of new different dishes... before opting for the same old suspects after all, I handed Dave the telephone. He dialled the number which then rang... and rang... and rang... because it turned out that they weren't open on Monday's. Oh, we thought. Not to worry, we'll try a different one.

This second one answered their telephone, which we thought was a good start. But then when Dave asked if they would deliver to our house, they said no. He asked why, and they said that they only delivered to the towns to the east of them... not the west... I think you can probably guess we were on the wrong side of west.

So, we thought it would be a case of third time lucky, but when we contacted this restaurant, they said that they'd never heard of our town?! We were totally astonished. And foolishly, we were determined not to give up.

But who has ever heard of fourth time lucky? Nobody. Because it doesn't exist. If you were wondering- there is a reason that it doesn't exist.

When we picked up the DVD from the shop, we were wondering around the aisles when Dave suddenly spotted some frozen Chinese dishes... in the freezer. Feeling pretty chuffed that we could still have our planned Chinese, we placed in our basket some spring rolls, shredded beef, sweet and sour chicken balls, some chicken and mushroom concoction, prawn crackers and rice for good measure.

Forty-five minutes later we sat at the table rather smugly, thinking what a saving we'd made cooking this ourselves... but that also happened to be the moment when we realised that we should have listened to the world. Basically, the shredded beef was more like the worst spaghetti bolognese you could ever imagine tasting; the chicken and mushroom thing was not much better than polystyrene in gravy, but as for the chicken balls... they were basically like... hmmm... how best to describe them? I think... chicken biscuits. Not good. But the one good thing to come of this dinner was that Dave and I realised just quite how nice rice can be. Ah, rice... the taken-for-granted food of the Chinese take-away... what a hidden treasure you are!

If you're still wondering how this simple incident can be interlinked to the inner workings of the world, I'll wrap this blog up with an explanation:

  • If Dave and I were destined to have a take-away that evening, the first place we called would have been open. After three failed attempts with three different restaurants, I realise now that it was evident the world was trying to tell us something: do not go for the DIY option from the local shop. 
  • However, in buying this ill-fated meal, Dave and I suddenly became more appreciative of the smaller things. So, I think that what the world was trying to tell us was to read the signs, using the 'rule of 3'. But also, to appreciate what you've got in life. I've got a Dave, which makes me very happy because he's my best friend, as well as my boyfriend. Maybe though, sometimes Dave is like the rice in a Chinese take-away: sometimes he gets taken for granted. Every once in a while I should appreciate how great he is, because without Dave I would just be a Mildred. And I think you'll agree- without the rice, a Chinese take-away just wouldn't be quite as great.
Mx


No comments:

Post a Comment