Thursday 11 August 2011

I welcome some new friends into my life: lovely wellington boots

Since yesterday's downpour (which, funnily enough, has not relented and is still pouring down), I have upped the ante in the footwear department and invested in a pair of wellington boots.

Honestly, what must I have been thinking when I packed the following?:
  • 2 x pairs of canvas pumps- one sky blue and white, the other purple floral.
  • 2 x ballet style pumps- one navy blue, the other black and cream. (Not much foot covering on these shoes- even less than the canvas ones).
  • 2 x high-heeled shoes- one red (open toed) and the other, black (classic). Note: these shoes are not conducive with the cobbled streets of Edinburgh.
  • 1 x flip-flop- scratch that, I was wise enough to unpack those at the last moment.
What must have been going through my head when I packed the essentials?

Did I manage to bring over 22 pairs of knickers? Yes.

Did I manage to bring an ample array of t-shirts and then proceed to live out of just three on an alternate basis? Yes.

Did I bring my pink slippers with the pretend (pretty) hippo faces on, to make me feel more at home? Why yes, of course.

Did I overlook the most fundamental of all items: the waterproof garments and shoes? Yes.

How did I end up in this situation? I have absolutely no idea what-so-ever. (Much to my dismay, I am beginning to realise that- perhaps, after all these years of dismissing my mother as a holiday-suitcase-packing-warden-enforcer, perhaps there is some methodology in her methods. Perhaps I need to admit defeat, hold my hands up and say that last minute packing does not work after all: I have been fooling myself for years).

Anyway, I'm going to leave you with a few parting thoughts:
  • never- and I repeat, never go to a supermarket late at night with the intention of just buying a couple of pints of milk and some wellies. Two hours later and £64.52pence lighter, I had purchased the supermarket's most expensive wellington boots and milk on offer.
  • greet an audience as though they are old friends to make them feel at ease.
  • and lastly, remember to always smile- especially if you are smiling on the poster advertising your play, as you don't want to be accused of false advertising.
M

No comments:

Post a Comment