Thursday 4 August 2011

Oh-my-goodness-me... I'm shattered and I haven't even begun performing yet!

Oh-my-goodness-me... I am totally knackered- absolutely cream-crackered, even though I've only been here a few days. The problem is, though I might be in my mid-twenties, my brain does not agree.

You see, I just can't keep up with all the young folk. I see them out and about until all hours, full of beans, whereas I start to flag by 10:30 (pm that is- I'm not that old yet, though there is still time).

I never thought I'd say this... but I yearn to be tucked up in bed by half past ten/ eleven. A good book is an optional extra, but a nice cool glass of water is a must. And yet, for these youthful beings, this is when the night begins! As I write this, I shake my head with a peculiar mixture of bewilderment and awe as there is a recurrent question that keeps appearing in my mind: how do these kids do it?

Why did this phenomenal ability to defy my body clock's natural ticking bypass me? Why can I not keep up with the youth of today, when technically, I am part of the youth of today?

I suspect that if I had something of a cooler name like 'River Dove', 'Sulpher Jones' or 'Apple Turn-Over', then of course I'd probably be able to stay up all night (and morning. You know, be a bit more hard core. I could probably even teach Kate Moss a lesson or two). Yes, that's it. I blame the parents and their placing of this burden upon me. I may once have been destined to revel until the early hours once upon a time, but my fate was sealed upon birth when it was declared that henceforth, I was to be known as Mildred- a name that can add even ten months to a baby.

My destiny was decided for me when I entered into this world. I was destined to be a mug-clutcher, as opposed to a night owl.

But for now friends, I shall bid you farewell. I am going to go and rehearse being me, in preparation of my shows opening night tomorrow. Shortly after, I am going to have some lunch (to most people, past 18:00 hours would be dinner, but not at the Fringe festival! Breakfast today was an affair that took place at half past three in the afternoon, despite being up by 9am).

Anyhoo, I hope that you are all well. My advice to you- whether you need it or not, is to cherish that dear friend of ours: Sir Sleep. I miss him dearly. But tonight, I'm going to make like Cinderella... (no, not find my Prince Charming). Instead, I'm going to ensure that I am tucked into bed by midnight- not a minute later.

No comments:

Post a Comment