Friday 13 January 2012

The curious incident of the missing sock

I would like to dedicate this blog to anyone out there who has ever suffered the misfortune of losing a dearly treasured sock. If this is you, then read on.

Yesterday, after what can only be described as a glorious night of sleep, I awoke (as you'd expect because if I hadn't, I probably wouldn't be writing to you). Unfortunately, I was ever-so perplexed on my return to the land of the living.

I opened my eyes and then looked down to the end of the bed. As usual, my duvet was hanging over the edge, one of my pillows lay casually abandoned on the floor and the teddy bear that I DO NOT sleep with- (it just so happens to have been residing in my bed for the last 25 plus years) was now at the foot of my bed.

None of this was the source of my confusion. No no, the source of confusion was (and still is) the sock that was (and still is) missing from my left foot. Friends, dear friends, this is something that has never happened to me before. I have never lost a sock during sleep; during the laundry somehow- yes. But during sleep- never.

So the mystery begins.

I put my detective hat on and asked myself the three crucial questions:

  • Where did I last have it? On my left foot last night.
  • When did I last see it? On my left foot last night. 
  • When did I notice it was missing? When I woke up in the morning, with a cold left foot. 

Do you see a pattern occurring here?

Evidently- I think you will all agree: I am a rubbish detective.

So, I searched my bed and the surrounding floor. But did I find the missing sock? No.

I searched the rest of the house, in case I'd taken up sleep-walking for one night only. Did I find the missing sock? No. Apparently I still don't sleep-walk after all.

Anyway, I dearly hope to be reunited with my dearly departed sock very soon. If you have seen it, it is black and fluffy on the inside and- if you try it on, super-duper warm.

I fear that if I am not reunited with the sock of my left foot, the right foot will have to be sent to the sock graveyard... the place of doom where socks who have lost their other half are sent. It is the no-man's-land of the sock world, where lost socks wait for their partner to be returned. Time is the enemy of the lost sock: if it's partner is not found within 6 weeks, then they are sentenced to a much worse fate... the bin.

So dear readers, I finish this blog today, missing a true friend of my left foot. I will keep you up-dated about the fate of the socks. But in the mean time, keep your feet warmers safe.


Mx

No comments:

Post a Comment