Thursday 19 January 2012

My career aspirations before I became a "grown-up"

When I was younger, I compiled a list of the top 10 jobs I would most like to have as an adult. Whilst clearing out my bedroom, I found said list.

I have decided to share my job successes (or failures), according to the list. Were my predictions accurate as a child? In advance I can tell you... not really.

In reverse order, my top 10 jobs are:

  • 10). PSYCHOLOGIST- I didn't really know what this job would entail... to be honest, I just thought it sounded rather good. And if I'm being even more honest, I still don't know what a psychologist does. Have I become a psychologist? NOPE. Strike it off the list: psychologist.
  • 9). DOCTOR- I think that the idea of having my very own stethoscope appealed to me more than the actual doctor-ing. I realised this wouldn't be an avenue I would be pursuing when Mum took me to the hospital (where she's a nurse), for one of those 'take your child to work' day's. You see, I fainted at the sight of a man's severed toe (caused by a lawn-mower), which made blood spurt everywhere (including over me). Did I become a doctor? NOPE: doctor.
  • 8). LAWYER- A job that I thought sounded sensible. I liked the idea of standing up and defending the innocent and being known as 'Mildred the Virtuous'. Unfortunately this idea later faded into obscurity, when I was told that you couldn't always defend the innocent. Did I become a lawyer? NOPE: lawyer.
  • 7). AUTHOR- Ever since I first read Harry Potter, JK Rowling became a hero of mine. My eyes were opened to a whole new world, where magic was real! She inspired me to read, to write and to dream. You don't know me JK, but thank you. Did I become an author? YES!
  • 6). MUSICIANI quite fancied myself as a professional musician, but I was never sure what type of music... Should I be a cool, hip popstar? Maybe, but I'd probably have to change my name. Should I become a classical performer? Maybe. Should I become a writer of some of the greatest music the world has never known? Maybe. Did I become a musician? YES!
  • 5). AIR HOSTESS- What an exotic occupation this would be! Of course, there was only ever one company I was going to work for. They wear ruby red and their boss is called Mr Branson (I think you know who I mean!). Unfortunately I was a little put off, when someone I know said I'd be a 'glorified waitress'... Did I become an air hostess? NOPE: air hostess.
  • 4). PROFESSIONAL DRESSER-UPPER- I don't really know if this is a 'real' job, but whether it is or not, it greatly appealed to me. I mean, imagine being paid to dress-up! How cool would that be?! Great fun. Did I become a professional dresser-upper? Sadly NO: dresser-upper.
  • 3). ACTRESS- I am happy to say that this does not need much explanation. Did I become an actress? YES!
  • 2). QUEEN- Sadly I had to down-grade my expectations from 'Queen' to 'Princess', after realising that I didn't have any divine origins (or whatever it is that the Queen has). Disappointingly, I was just a regular human being... Did I become the Queen? NOPE: Queen.
  • 1). 'BLUE PETER' PRESENTER- My one dream that has been consistent from the age of five, through to the present day. I live in hope that I will one day get to utter those immortal words: "here's one I made earlier"! Have I become a 'Blue Peter' Presenter? NOT YET. But I shall live in hope. 
So dear friends, I bid you farewell. I hope this has been of interest to you... it certainly was to me! In the meantime, I am pleased to say that I have achieved at least three of the things on my list (that's 30%, don't you know... almost half!). But I shall leave here with a question for you: have you become what your child-self thought you would become when you were a "grown-up"?

Mx

PS I have found the sock at long last!!

No comments:

Post a Comment