Monday 16 January 2012

My first palm-sweating cinematic experience

I pose to you a question:

Do you remember the first time you ever went to the cinema? You probably do. My first visit to the cinema was to see a film that would become part of my main film diet as a child. It was the 1994 Walt Disney classic The Lion King. I remember watching this film and being filled with awe. Thoughts such as: 
  • 'Crikey, I really need the parents to start being more honest with me!' This followed the startling revelation that LIONS and WATER BUFFALO and other animals could talk. Until that point- as far as I was concerned, my parents had spent several years lying to me. If the animals on-screen were talking, then it had to be true. What did it matter that they were cartoon? That fact was irrelevant to my 8 and a half year old mind. Quite simply, THE ANIMALS WERE TALKING.
  • 'So when can I meet these talking animals?' This was the next thought I had. For hours I would practise at home on our cat trying to entice him to talk, but this was to no avail. I became frustrated with Alvin, because I knew it to be true that animals could talk. Perhaps he was just shy, I told myself... before I realised that there was an unspoken vow amongst the animal kingdom, that all animals must never talk in front of the humans. That was the reason Alvin wasn't talking to me: it had to be. 
  • 'What else don't I know about the world?' Fairly soon after watching The Lion King, I graduated to Mary Poppins- a film that brought with it more questions than answers. Why don't I fly when I open Mum's red and white umbrella? Why do I always fall off the banister when I reach the end of the stairs? Why can't I slip into a parallel universe when I jump onto a painting on the ground? Why Mary, why?
Soon after seeing The Lion King, my love of the cinema and theatre grew. It was just magical. Something that could make you laugh, cry, bite your lip in fear and watch through your fingers had to be magic! Even now, when I plonk myself as elegantly as possible into a seat at the cinema, I still get that same thrill that I got when my age was still in single digits. 

But I had forgotten quite how amazing the cinema can be, until yesterday. 

I pose to you another question:

Do you remember your first palm-sweating cinematic experience? I do. Yesterday, I had my first full-on palm-sweating experience at the cinema. 

You see, it was Dave's turn to choose the film. He opted for something manly; something he knew I probably wouldn't choose. He selected Mission Impossible 4: Ghost Protocol. And can I just say one word: WOW-ZA. It was definitely an edge-of-your-seat experience... Mr Cruise (if you're reading this): Dave and I take our (invisible) hats off to you.    

So, it is with renewed love for the cinema that I end this blog. Eighteen years after watching my first film on the big screen, I am pleased to learn that I'm not too old to be blown away by something that brings back the magic I felt at just 8 years old. Long may it last.

Mx

PS Still no sock yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment